Monday, April 13, 2009

Collaborative Project - Touring CCMS

This Thursday, April 9, I was able to tour the Corpus Christi Montessori School. It was a great experience! The school was unlike any other I had ever seen. Students worked quietly on the floor or at tables. They were busy and looked engaged by their assinments. Many were working in their socks! Miss Sylvia, the school's principal, showed us around enthusiastically. The lower grades worked with many manipulatives, while the older children did more group work and experiments. The three of us on tour were also treated to a look at the student's garden and PE area.

I really appreciated the peace and unity that evidently exists among the students. Even children in the lower grades were calm, busy, and seemed to be having fun. I also like the methods used by the teachers. They didn't order the children around and there was no yelling. Every teacher at CCMS is called by her first name, making the impression that teachers are not above, or more important than, students. At the end of the tour we all asked about how to become Montessori teachers because we were so impressed and excited by their methods. The school is small and humble, but within those walls many children are experiencing and learning great things!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was able to see the school, but I work while the tour was being given. Your blogg was great. You painted such a wonderful picture with your words. I hope things are going well for you. Good luck on this assignment.Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete