Friday, February 13, 2009

Internet Resources

Although some internet resources are new to me, in the short time I've known about them I can see that they will be very valuable to me as a future teacher. The field of education is changing. Resources such as those found online, can enrich a unit plan. I would love to use email projects to add color and flavor to what my students are learning. Imagine their excitement when they recieve an email or IM from a fellow student who lives out of town or out of state, or even out of the country. The depth of knowledge and meaning will, no doubt, have a far greater impact that anything read from a textbook.

I also envision using online video and audio resources. As I explored these resources I was fascinated. I saw Saturn's rings moving and heard Apollo 10 take off into outer space! It was exciting for me and made me want to learn more. I'm sure students, too, will find it mesmerizing to be able to see and hear things they could have only imagined or read about until recently.


Additionally, I would like to use kid-safe search engines. One that I liked is Cyber Sleuth Kids. It contains a variety of subjects that children of all ages would be interested in learning more about. I also like MSN Encarta. I think it's great that encyclopedias are accessible to everyone and just a click away. These resources can be easily used by students for gathering information to prepare reports, make presentations, or just to learn a bunch!

Photos are another great tool for learning and teaching. There are zillions of photos available on the web! They are varied and beautiful and, as is often said, are worth a thousand words. I envision being able to print some pictures for use on word walls, or as inspiration for art or science projects. The students could put together class-made picture books, outlining what they learned about the particular object pictured. The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mari, I like the idea of safe search engines. Your picture book idea is great. This would be great for elementary students as a class project.

    ReplyDelete