Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Role of Technology in the Classroom: How Blogging Can Help

As I close in on my education degree I become giddy with excitement. Years of homework, late nights, stress, and tests will (fairly soon) be a thing of the past. However, what really excites me is the prospect of running my own classroom. I envision a room full of children, calling me “teacher,” and telling me about their pets, or siblings, or a book they’ve recently read. It sounds a little too ideal, I know, but there is one other thing I envision- and I vow to make it a reality. I want to use technology in my classroom. I want my future students to be computer literate and I want them to blog.

Blogging is one key way to keep children intensely involved in the material they are leaning. As a teacher I would be able to look at their blogs and discern whether or not they have a good grasp on the material we are covering. Additionally, blogging is a fine way to teach students the vital, life-long typing skills they will require. Finally, I believe it will be a tremendous confidence booster for each and every child. No doubt, they will be thrilled to see their own creations and read the points of view of their fellow students.

Blogging can be of great benefit to teachers as well. It can assist teachers in keeping connected and up-to-date. The need for increased technology in the teaching profession grows every year. Today’s elementary students are tomorrow's college students. Therefore, teachers must be at the technological forefront. How can we teach what we do not know?

One website that is of infinite use is David Warlick’s 2 Cents Worth. One article I found to be very interesting was Bloggers Who Help You Teach. It discusses the need for teachers to conference with fellow educators so as to obtain newer and more captivating teaching techniques. One of the ways these educators have come together is via blogging. They are able to share their ideas and learn new ones and they have seen positive results.

Given its many benefits, it’s clear that blogging is the ultimate way to a successful student life and teaching career.

1 comment:

  1. Mari, I agree with your ideas about how blogging can be a tremendous confidence booster for children, as there are many students who don't get a lot of positive feedback from other sources and how blogging is a means of checking whether your students are understanding the material presented. You make excellent points as to the need for blogging in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete