Friday, February 27, 2009

My Storyboard and the 7 Elements of Digital Storytelling

How does the sun affect the Earth’s temperature? This is a subject I have always been interested in investigating. This week’s assignment, to create a storyboard based on one of our unit questions, has been very exciting. It is very important to address the seven elements of digital storytelling in our storyboard and unit plan. The use of digital multimedia allows for the appropriate presentation of this information by combining pictures, video, and audio to tell a story.

The first element of digital storytelling deals with point of view. This storyboard reflects my (the teacher’s) point of view regarding how amazing the earth’s placement in our solar system is. My goal is to help the audience appreciate how marvelously well positioned earth is and how, because of that, life is possible. The dramatic question, to be answered at the end of the story is, “How does the sun affect the earth’s temperature?” By the conclusion of the story, the audience should be well aware of the role the sun plays on our earth. It should be clear that without the sun, life would be impossible and that if our earth gets too warm, life will become very difficult for humans and animals alike. The emotional content, again, deals with the warming of our earth. We all play a role in earth’s future and its future will directly affect our descendants. How will we respond to this issue? This topic is very important and dear to my heart. I hope to use clips and pictures that demonstrate this. Additionally, the soundtrack used will compliment the points that my story makes, and will support the storyline. Although there is a good deal information on this topic, I’ve done my best to be economical with how much I present. There is enough data on this topic to make an hour-long movie (or more), but I’ve chosen to use points that I feel are especially relevant. Finally, the pacing of this story will be quick, but not too quick. As mentioned, there is a lot of information to be discussed pertaining to this topic. Although the information is very interesting, I don’t want my audience to become bored or disinterested in the topic, so I plan to go at a brisk pace. The information is not very difficult and the manner in which it is presented will be easy to understand.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you write so well! And it sounds like you completely understand the elements. I agree that the sun's importance to our life is very important for students to learn. After all, it is THEIR future at stake. And someone has to teach them how to preserve it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri is right, your understanding of the material completely shows in your blog. I always enjoy reading, it helps me understand things better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both Josette and Terri. Honestly, half the time I feel like I'm lost! But, this information is so interesting and I feel it will be so beneficial to us all as teachers, that I'm excited we are all learning it. I think we've all learned alot and experienced working with some neat new (new to me, for sure) tools!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your blog and viewing your unit plan, I can tell that you have put a lot of thought in to your project. How you addressed the 7 elements of digital storytelling demonstrates how well you understand their relevance. Your point of view and dramatic question tie together well, and your view of emotional content is like "the icing on the cake." Your purpose as to how you want to use the soundtrack and reasoning for economy exemplify how you want to touch on the subject matter you feel is most important. I completely agree with how you want to use pacing, as you are right about not wanting to lose your audience. The only only element I did not see addressed was 'voice'and I was unable to view your storyboard-the link stated 'the page was unavailable.' Your unit plan ties the question, TEKS, objectives, and timeline together well and shows how well thought out this section of the assignment is. Overall I feel you did a great job and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, Vicky. I've tried to link my storyboard again. I hope it works this time! let me know if it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete